Tuesday, August 02, 2005

"Intelligent" Design. Like Our Strategy In Iraq

Hmmm...So president C student has waded in to the evolution debate huh? Well, who are we to cast aspirations on Dick Cheney's pool boy. After all, he's not a scientist himself, he has people who take care of those things for him.

Or maybe not.

Well, so what? When has not knowing what he was talking about ever stopped him? In a question-and-answer session, Bush endorsed efforts by Christian conservatives to give intelligent design equal standing with the theory of evolution.

When asked if he was aware that intelligent design actually wasn't a scientific theory, but a reaction to the theory of evolution, Bush said he wasn't sure about all that "egg head stuff," but felt sure if scientists would just "get a life instead of looking at all those test tubes and such" they would come around to his position.

"I saw those guys when I was in college," he said. "Always at the library and doing homework and stuff. I used to wonder what the heck they were doing in college in the first place. Then someone told me they didn't have rich daddys with lots of connections. That's when I started making fun of them."

Bush compared the current debate to earlier disputes over "creationism," a related view that adheres more closely to biblical explanations. As governor of Texas, Bush said students should be exposed to both creationism and evolution. "I don't know why they changed the name," he said. "Intelligent Design has too many cymbals for me."

"I think that the role of education is to expose people to proper schools of thought," Bush said. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be taught only approved ideas, the answer is yes."

When asked why students couldn't be exposed to scientific thought in science classes and religious thought in literature, sociology or theology classes Bush responded that science was "too important" because "it's all about truth and stuff. Who cares about poetry, or what's that other thing you said, scientology?"

Bush directed further questions to the Discovery Institute, the leading proponent for intelligent design, which has compiled a list of more than 70 biologists, who are skeptical about evolution. When asked if he was aware that there are over 60,000 biologists in the country Bush responded that the numbers didn't really matter, because "that's just more of that science stuff that we're trying to get rid of anyway."

Bush didn't seem eager to talk about the topic. "Laura picks all my books for me," he said. "And she mostly reads them for me too, except I don't have to pay her like I did in college."

No comments: