Friday, August 07, 2015

Friday Hound Blogging

Now, if you don't know anything else about the overlords you know they loves them some greyhounds. They have the utmost respect for this noble and ancient breed and that is what attracted them to greyhound racing, which as we all know requires great investments of time and money. There's the training, the care and feeding, and the continued effort to make sure these elite athletes get everything they need to perform at the top of their potential. Not to mention the emotional connection between the breeders, trainers, owners and the dogs themselves who, as we've often heard are just like members of the family.

So you have to believe that whenever the overlords hear of anything even slightly untoward in their industry, even slightly askew they will move heaven and earth to right it and protect the greyhounds at whatever cost, right Townsville Greyhound Racing Club President Gary Heath?
The Townsville Greyhound Racing Club on Sunday warned many of the 2-300 dogs involved were at risk of being put down if it couldn't find $180,000 for repairs. President Gary Heath told News Corp it was an animal welfare issue. "If they decide to close it, at a guess, I'd say we've got 200 to 300 greyhounds up here," he said. "We'd like to think we could find homes for them all but, being realistic, I think a lot of them would have to be put down."
And there you have it. Can there be any more clear proof of the overlords love for these dogs, or their devotion to their wait, what?
Animal Liberation Queensland president Chay Neal said the comments were another example of why the industry should not be allowed to continue. Mr Neal said the industry didn't see the value in a dog unless it was racing.
Oh, come on Mr. Neal. That's a bit over the top don't you think? The last thing any overlord wants is to put a dog in danger.  Surely there must be a better explanation than the units are no longer profitable.
"It sounds like the Townsville Greyhound Racing Club is attempting to emotionally blackmail Racing Queensland for further funding, threatening the lives of 300 healthy greyhounds," he said in a statement on Monday night.
Not so fast there Mr. Neal. Everyone knows the cruel and heartless exploitation of innocent living creatures for (no) profit is a losing enterprise, so Mr. Heath is probably between a fiscal rock and a hard place. We mean, $180,000 is a lot of two dollar bets and when there are only about 40 people in 100 square miles of the place stupid enough to think that betting on whether a helpless greyhound makes it around the track without injuring or killing itself is the road to riches it's pretty obvious that if Mr. Heath wants to stay out of the labor pool, he's running out of options fast. Desperate times call for desperate measures, know what we mean? Besides, most of the dogs get killed anyway so what's the big whoop, right  Slim?


I am a really sweet and laid back boy. I am not an “in your face” dog but I will come around for attention. I am fine either being by myself or with people/dogs. I am learning how to play with toys and I am finding that I really love them. I get along great with all of the Greyhounds in my foster home. I have seen some small dogs through the fence. I showed some interest in them but then decided to just walk away and let them do their thing. It has been so hot since I have been here that I am finding laying in the kiddy pool very relaxing and refreshing. I am housebroken. I was a little shy and unsure of things when I first got to my foster home but I am adjusting now and coming out of my shell. I am really enjoying retirement. For more information about this dog, and other rescued racing greyhounds looking for homes, go here. If you don't know about the plight of racing greyhounds go here and here.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Chay Neal summed it well. And thanks for sharing. From me and my own unwanted, cast offs. Awesome!