Friday, June 10, 2005

Friday Hound Blogging

Well, racing greyhounds around the world have spent another week living under the benevolent protection of the overlords. We've written on several occasions about the devoted care given the mean the dogs, and this week is no exception. Last Friday we reported on the fire at the Naples. Florida dog track in which 66 dogs spent four hours breathing smoke while the guard wandered around the track trying to figure out where the alarm was coming from. So far 15 dogs have died.

Firefighters rescued the dogs from the kennel owned by overlords Gregory and Arlene Wootten. Some of the most critically injured dogs were taken to a local veterinary clinic. Because the dogs were so severely injured they had to constantly monitored and treated with oxygen and fluids.

Now, you would think the overlords, because they care so much for their would be grateful for the effort of the Vets in dropping everything and coming to the aid of the injured greyhounds.

You could think that. You'd be wrong.

The Woottens showed up at the Vet clinic to get the dogs, but Dr. Amy Bosecker-Gentsch wouldn't sign the medical release forms because she felt the greyhounds should not be moved yet. The Lee County Sheriff's Office was called, and a deputy was dispatched to the animal hospital at 2:47 p.m., but because the dogs were the property of the Wootens, the clinic staff could not stop the transfer. Twelve dogs — including one in critical condition and one in serious condition — were taken away in a Dodge Caravan.

When asked what they planned to do with the sick dogs, Arelene Wooten said, "These dogs will never race again. What do you do with your toaster when it breaks down?"

And it turns out the don't have to be the victims of a fire to receive the full measure of loving care from their overlords. Just ask Kenneth and Robbin Wiseman.

Five of the 66 dogs removed from the Wiseman kennel were euthanized after a veterinarian determined they were in "very bad condition." Officials had visited the home Thursday after getting a tip. They found excessive amounts of urine, feces and fleas along with the emaciated animals.

When asked to explain the condition of the dogs, Kenneth Wiseman said he wasn't sure how they got that way. "You know, you take a little vacation and when you come back, this has happened," He said. "Next time we'll know to have someone watch the dogs while we're gone."

Here's a who was on the receiving end of overload care and still managed to survive. Meet Moorestown Marnie:

Posted by Hello

For more information about this dog, and other rescued racing greyhounds looking for homes, go here. If you don't know about the plight of racing greyhounds go here.


Steve Austin said...

Enjoyable blog. Please check out my dog picture blog.

Roy Naka said...

Cool blog you have going here, I will check in often! I have a similar site about bernese mountain dog. It pretty much covers bernese mountain dog related stuff.

Anonymous said...

First of all let me say that I am completely opposed to greyhound racing. Now, I am upset that you quoted Arlene as saying that about her dogs, for one because she didn't (I know her personally) and secondly because she took wonderful care of those greyhounds. 6 dogs died in Dr Amy's care, which is 6 more than any other vet. She was the only one who had any deaths in the days after the fire, which is why Arlene chose to remove them from her care. Please investigate further next time.